Emergency cerclage in twins during mid gestation may have favorable outcomes: Results of a retrospective cohort
AuthorCilingir, Isil Uzun
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCilingir, I. U., Sayin, C., Sutcu, H., İnan, C., Erzincan, S., Yener, C., & Varol, F. (2018). Emergency cerclage in twins during mid gestation may have favorable outcomes: Results of a retrospective cohort. Journal of gynecology obstetrics and human reproduction, 47(9), 451-453.
Purpose. - Cervical cerclage treatment for cervical changes at mid trimester is a very controversial topic in twins. The aim of the study was to present our maternal and fetal outcomes of mid-trimester cervical cerclage in twin pregnancies. Basic procedures. - This study was performed using data extracted from the medical files of the twin pregnancies whom performed emergency cervical cerclage between January 2012 and March 2018 at Trakya University, Facuty of Medicine, Department of Perinatology. Main findings. - Mean (min.-max.) gestational age at delivery was [27.3 (21-34) weeks]. The median time between cervical cerclage and delivery was 6.4 weeks, while the maximum prolongation of the pregnancy was 11 weeks. The median prolongation period of pregnancy was 4.1 weeks in patients with bulging membranes, but 10 weeks in patients with cervical effacement and cervical shortening. Eight infants died at the neonatal period. Two patients (20%) developed late abortions at 21 and 22 weeks of gestation, and 2 women (20%) delivered extremely premature neonates at the 24th weeks. Overall neonatal mortality rate was 40% (8/20 neonates). Twelve out of twenty were born alive (60%). Principal conclusions. - Despite the lack of randomized controlled trials, it seems reasonable to offer emergency cervical cerclage to twin pregnancies with cervical shortening (<15 mm). For the twin pregnancies with advanced cervical dilatation and protruding membranes, emergency cervical cerclage should be an option only for carefully selected patients after informing about the complications and low success rate. (C) 2018 Elsevier Masson SAS. All rights reserved.